Anaheim police kill another man, fire on anti-brutality protesters
July 23, 2012
Anaheim police have shot dead yet another man just a day after killing 24-year old Manuel Diaz. The previous day’s shooting sparked a protest against police brutality that was violently broken up by authorities.
Police say the second shooting took place on Sunday, when anti-gang crime officers spotted a stolen SUV and started chasing it. Three suspects were said to have jumped out of the SUV, with police continuing their pursuit on foot. The men reportedly opened fire at an officer, and the policeman retaliated by shooting dead one of the shooters.
However, eyewitnesses say police shot dead a man who was already handcuffed, OC Weekly reports.
Family friends told the Weekly that the victim was Joel Acevedo, a resident of Anaheim.
Residents on the scene allegedly tried to take photos from a second floor of an apartment block, but police obscured their view with flash lights. The second alleged killing took place a few blocks away from the place where 24-year-old Manuel Diaz was gunned down by police on Saturday.
In the wake of Diaz’s death, roughly 200 people gathered to protest police brutality and pelted cops with bottles.
Police attempted to break up the crowds firing beanbag rounds and tear gas. A shocking video of the riot shows women and children amongst the panicking demonstrator, fleeing for cover.
Footage shows a police dog slipping from an officer’s hand and taking down one of the protesters and biting his arm before being brought under control.
“They just released the dog, and I had my baby and my stroller,” resident Susan Lopez told local television channel KCAL.
Demonstrations have raged in Anaheim since Saturday afternoon when Diaz died of his wounds after being shot by cops.
On Sunday enraged protesters stormed the local police station amid chants of “no justice, no peace” and “cops, pigs, murderers.”
Two officers spotted three men, one of whom was Diaz, acting suspiciously in an alleyway, the police’s account of the story says. The men tried to run from police, but one of the officers gave chase and fatally shot Diaz next to an apartment complex.
A video showing the moments right after the shooting has emerged on YouTube. The video also shows that Diaz’s head was covered in blood, raising doubts about whether the police’s actions were justified. There have also been complaints online that police did not do enough to help the wounded Diaz, who apparently was still twitching at the beginning of the video.
The video’s description says that the witness who took the video has chosen to remain anonymous over fear of reprisals.
The People’s Record will continue to post updates on this Anaheim police murder case & the protests that have followed Diaz & Acevedo’s murders.
- mexigypsyy likes this
- maiqilai reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord and added:
- winneganfake reblogged this from sinshine
- sinshine reblogged this from nixie-no-pants
- chickenlilcurry reblogged this from manilaryce
- theyoungwitch reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- rikkiatia reblogged this from whitewingedalbatross
- music-fox reblogged this from powertothehavenots
- jjarichardson reblogged this from myheadisweak
- closetedhomosexualearthworm likes this
- nixie-no-pants reblogged this from notyrqueer
- felagundsangrypoliticalblog reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- powertothehavenots reblogged this from silas216
- superhusbandslove reblogged this from anarchistpeopleofcolor and added:
- egana likes this
- anarchistpeopleofcolor reblogged this from silas216
- rifkind-moonchild reblogged this from real-news
- wooliebear likes this
- moorewr reblogged this from silas216 and added:
- silas216 reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- silas216 likes this
- northernlybird reblogged this from fr0mchildh00dshour
- northernlybird likes this
- occupy-my-blog reblogged this from leafygreenbriar
- whitewingedalbatross reblogged this from pipeschapman
- dianaloi likes this
- elegies likes this
- vortexanomaly likes this
- mustachemayhem likes this
- niccageinabearcostume likes this
- dont-impregnate-the-baby reblogged this from justsayjd
- acloudhangs-over reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- montagnarde1793 reblogged this from lajacobine
- accioharo likes this
- objectsareevents reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- lajacobine reblogged this from thespiritofyamato
- butchrosser likes this
- burningonyx reblogged this from elfboi
- fayanora reblogged this from elfboi
- slaaneshi-party-bus reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- windowlicker likes this
- artemariposa reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- axdxw reblogged this from thespiritofyamato and added:
- crimelapse likes this
- postmodernbutttouch likes this
- changoleon likes this
- psychedeliksister likes this
- littleblackkittycat likes this